The Memorial Site of “Camp des Milles” is the only major French Internment and deportation camp still intact and accessible to the public. From 1939 to 1942, 10000 prisoners from 38 countries were interned here. More than 2000 were sent to Auschwitz, among them about a hundred children.
The aim is to strengthen the visitors’ vigilance and responsibility, especially the young visitor, constantly faced with threats of racism, anti-Semitism, fanaticism and totalitarianism.
The building is classified as an Historic Monument among the major French Memorial Sites and offers an historical, memorial and a reflexive approach, through an innovative and multi-disciplinary visit.
It is also a place where unknown and famous people (among them Max Ernst or Hans Bellmer), knew how to resist through artistic creation. Paintings or drawings (more than 3000) still exist as testimonies of the past.
Besides the visit, some activities are offered on the Memorial Site: educational workshops, conferences and debates, a resource and t raining center but also some cultural events and temporary exhibitions.
PRACTICAL INFORMATION :
- Open everyday from 10:00 to 7:00 pm (last entrance 5:30pm), except january 1st, May 1st, and december 25th.
- Audioguide in german, english and french.
- Duration : 1h to 2h
Pets are forbidden.
- Adult : 9.50€
- Senior + 65s; young 9/18s, students under 25s, and disabled people : 7.50€
- Free for City Pass Aix en Provence owner
- âFree for child under 9s, veterans, & journalists.
- Accessibility of the service to disabled people :
- Duration :
- Time of day :
- in the afternoon
- in the morning
- Means of transport :
- Type of activity :
- Self-guided visit
- Other information :
- Tested by our travel advisors
- No pets allowed
- On site :
- Car park
- Access :
- from the village or the place visited
- appointment directly with the service provider
- accessible by public transport