Until September 26th, 2021, the Musée Granet, the City of Aix-en-Provence’s leading cultural institution, will play host to a world-class exhibition on ancient Egyptian art.
“Pharaoh, Osiris and the mummy” will shed light on the Musée Granet’s Egyptian collection, as part of a unique partnership with the Musée du Louvre and several regional and European museums.
This exhibition will present the Musée Granet’s complete collection of ancient Egyptian artefacts and throw light on why Aix-en-Provence owns pieces to rival some of those in the Louvre or British Museum.
They include two low-reliefs, produced at the same time as the Great Pyramid of Cheops, several first-rate stelae, a sarcophagus and its mummy, and a mummified Nile monitor lizard - an extremely rare object in the history of ancient Egypt – presented alongside a tomography or cross-section that reveals how it was embalmed, as well as funerary sculptures and amulets from different periods of this civilisation that spanned the millennia.
A major monumental object from the Louvre’s collection - a colossal two-metre-high royal statue of a member of the Ramesside line (1292-1070 BCE) - will also be on display.
PRACTICAL INFORMATION :
- Open from tuesday to sundays, 12 pm to 6: 00 pm.
- Duration : 1h to 2h
- Ticket includes the current exhibitions, the permanent collection, and the Annex Granet XXe- Planque collection, located Place Jean Boyer (on the top of Marechal Joffre street).
Pets are forbidden.
- Adult : 8€
- Disabled people and their carer: 6€
- Free for City Pass Aix en Provence owner
- Free for child under 18s, student under 26s.